Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lock those doors when showing homes


Quite the ironic thing happened to me yesterday while showing foreclosures and short sales in Chesterfield and Bon Air. I was remarking to my 1st time home-buyer clients, a happy young couple engaged to be married soon, how I always lock the door behind us, because people tend to show up to foreclosures and just walk in on you. Like many of my clients, they were surprised to hear of a strange story like this. Well, wouldn't you know it that at our next house which had a 2nd home for sale right next door, we came out of the showing and a car pulls up and a thug-like creature wants to know about both homes and know if I'm the owner or my clients or the Realtor and etc.. Truth be told, I was ready to get out of there, because this gentleman (and I'm using that term loosely here) was scary looking indeed. So, I told him that he should call the listing agent from the sign and that we had to get to our next home on our list. He didn't seem to understand the concept and we just left him standing there in the front yard to his thoughts. I was thinking he might follow us to our cars, but he did not.

This is by far, not the worst encounter I've had in my years in real estate, but simply a reality of the world we live in. He could've been harmless or he could've been danger incarnate, but I wasn't about to find out. Just know this, do everything you can to protect yourself as a real estate client or agent and lock those doors when showing homes, because then at least you'll not be surprised by anyone in a closed non-public environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment